Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Integrating Quotations

I'm going to give this demonstration again because it's important for those looking for an A in the Film Analysis.

You need one outside source to help support the essay.

This means searching for a legitimate author, possibly a journalist or another professor, who wrote about the same topic.

Let's say I'm writing about Disney fairy tales and I want to write that Disney movies were mostly the same in the past. I can take a quote from the Vanity Fair article I showed everyone to support my argument.

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2014/12/disney-killed-fairy-tale-romance

Example...

Disney movies in the 1950s are similar to each other. (My line)

But, what if I wanted to "integrate" a quote to support that line?

Disney movies in the 1950s are similar to each other. Other authors feel the same way, and one Vanity Fair writer even wrote "Instead, the fairy tale was long ago turned into its own subgenre of the wider romance category, a magical and fantastical exploration of worlds where men are princes, women are princesses, and kisses have the power to do, well, just about anything" (Erbland).

Do you see how I weaved the purple part into it?

And there is also supposed to be an analysis of the quotation after the purple.

The outside quotes would work better in the body paragraphs too, rather than the introduction or conclusion, as they are supposed to support specific details about what the essay is explaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment