Saturday, March 26, 2016

Story / Thesis Statement

At CSU Stanislaus, I had one professor (Dr. Molly Crumpton Winter) who really drove home the idea of making the thesis interesting while establishing importance.

She had this lecture on how someone could turn in an essay that looked perfect from a structure and grammar standpoint, and still score poorly because the importance of the thesis statement was not established.

In fact, she was by far my harshest critic and always gave one letter grade less than any other professor in the CSU Stanislaus English Department. For a long time, I had this theory she graded my essays low on purpose because she did not like me.

Perhaps she told the truth while the other instructors let my mistakes slide.

Even though this Film Analysis is a compare/contrast essay, try to offer a little something on why it's important to study the chosen topic/thesis statement.

It could be as simple as "Through excellent character development, Titanic offers a more compelling love story than found in 50 Shades of Grey. Subsequently, Titanic lasts forever, while 50 Shades is forgotten easily." 

Well, maybe the above thesis could be more interesting.

In the MW 10:35 class, one student plans to write her essay about how the movie Avatar may or may not have stolen ideas from Fern Gully. It just sounded interesting because I had no clue Avatar allegedly ripped off another movie. I wanted to know if it really did.

Apparently, there is a debate about this topic with numerous articles written on it already, which gives this particular student an advantage because she has tons of outside (hopefully legitimate) sources to gain ideas from.

On a side note, I took Dr. Winter three times at CSU Stanislaus and never received an A. The closest grade ended up being an A-. She taught me more though and remains a huge influence in how I write today.



No comments:

Post a Comment